I’ve finally got round to writing up my Master Plan of how I’m going to learn to sew, and here it is:
- Take up linen work trousers – practice hemming and hand-sewing (backstitch).
- Sew silk cuff from Sew It Up book.
- Make a shift from cotton lawn, using a combination of Marquise.de’s instructions and those on MaraRiley.net.
- Sew pair of pockets (thanks to the lovely Lithia Black and her dragonflies, I now am thinking about embroidering these – something I wasn’t originally planning to do! It’s all her fault!). I might go for white on the outside and something bright (to match the embroidery) on the inside as a little flash of colour at the pocket opening. I already have the pattern for these in the Butterick Misses’ Historical Underpinnings pack I bought the other day (this pattern is in the clearance sale at the moment on Butterick’s site – make the most of it if you’re in the US!).
- Make my Halloween costume for this year to help me learn fitting. I’ve decided to go for an undead/zombie Marie Antoinette as I like her pretty outfits but like to wear scary costumes for Halloween – I get the best of both worlds this way! I think I’m going to go for the Simplicity 2832 pattern as it’s much simpler than an accurate 18th Century gown, but is still fitted on the bodice and therefore will give me that fitting experience. Also, for a fun Halloween party, I would feel too over-dressed in a full-length gown and wouldn’t want to shell out all that money for the fabric when there’s a good chance it’ll end up with someone’s drink/fake blood down it! I’m going to get the pattern and choose my fabrics in the next couple of weeks.
- Sew a kimono. This doesn’t quite fit with the other things, but my mother and I bought the pattern and fabric a couple of years ago, but I was scared off by the bizzare, arcane symbols of the pattern, because I didn’t understand them. With a bit more know-how and my helpful books, I’m hoping I’ll be able to work it out this time – a new dressing gown for me!
- Finally – the stays! I’ve got the Butterick half-boned pattern, which I’m going to make up with heavy-duty cable ties, cotton coutil, a soft cotton lining and something pretty on the outside… Maybe some silk dupion like my cuff but in a different colour. I’d quite like a greyish blue or silvery grey ooor a darker, more graphite grey, but I don’t think they’d have those. I think they might have had a very 18th C pale blue, though. Perhaps that with a deep pink cotton bias tape and as-close-to-matching-as-I-can-get ribbon to fasten… Rather like the colours of the fashion plate I’ve posted previously.
Then I can start thinking about gowns and jackets and petticoats – oh my! I just need some more excuses to wear them, as I’m developing quite a wish list (more on that another time).
Meanwhile, after being ill yesterday, I was well enough to go to lunch today with some friends, so the cuff had its first outing. Here’s a pic in natural light (and hopefully a bit less blurred) of me looking with pride upon my creation ;P
I am being a good girl, too – another chapter edited today – just two more for this week, then another 6 next week and Part 1 of A Thief & A Gentlewoman is all edited up! This is A Good Thing(TM) too, as my hand-in is a fortnight today, then my Masters will be all done… It’s a little sad.
(EDITED – I forgot to cross off the things on The Master Plan that I’d completed.)