Yep, that’s right – all those pesky little hand-sewn eyelets are done and the straps are attached:
Though they started off a little shaky:
The bottom one that you can’t see very well was my first effort – it’s probably just as well it’s not very clear on the photo as it looks awful!! I tried out a few different techniques: pushing the hole from the outside from the inside, overcasting or using buttonhole stitch, and stitching from the inside or the outside. I found the best results came from: pushing from the inside to the outside (first with an awl, then with a wider knitting needle); I drew a circle around the hole; I used buttonhole stitch, pushing the needle from the outside and following the drawn circle. After a couple of practice ones, they came out much better:
But before I could do the eyelets, I realised that I needed something to go behind them, since I’m attaching the lining after doing the binding. So, I cut a couple of strips on the bias from the lining fabric (purely on the bias because of looks, I have to say!) and hand-stitched them over the folded over section of outer fabric. Sorry, not very clearly explained, but here’s a photo:
So when the two sides come together, the stripes form a kind of chevron pattern:
So that’s the progress so far, all that’s left is stitching the ends of the last few boning channels, trimming down the seam allowance and then the evils of bias-binding attachment. Even so, I think the finish line is in sight!