More progress on the Halloween costume last night – the front half of the bodice is together and the darts are in the back. So I thought I’d pin the front and back together and try it on:
D’oh. It’s sitting really strangely over the bust, but I have pinned it in slightly and will be altering that today, and I’m hoping that it’s sitting strangely because the whole bodice is sitting quite high at the moment. I think this will be fixed when the skirt of the dress is attached as that will weigh it down somewhat. I also think it’s sitting high because it’s a bit small at the waist at the moment, but I’m hoping to sort this by letting the darts at the back out a bit and by decreasing the seam allowance at the sides and back when I come to sew that.
I kinda thought it might all come out too small as although the toile was perfect with a nice amount of ease, I noticed when I put those pieces against the cut out dress pieces that the dress pieces had come out a bit smaller and more uneven. Yep, bugger. This fabric isn’t stretchy as such, but it does pull out of shape diagonally, which made it a pain to cut – even trying to draw on it would make the fabric stretch out so you couldn’t even draw a straight line. Maybe there is some trick for this that I don’t know about because I’m a newb!
On the plus side, I’m sure that it’s down to that type of fabric and not me being rubbish at cutting patterns, as I didn’t have any such problems when I was cutting the lawn. I think I might get one of those rotary cutters to use in future as just the scissors lifting and pulling at the fabric to cut it was pulling it out of shape and the cutter would remove that part of the problem. Plus, I could get a scalloped blade for it and I am on a hunt for scallops. (And this looks like the best I can do since I don’t seem to be able to get hold of the Fiskar’s scalloped-edge fabric shears. Sigh!)
And another plus – I’m quite pleased with the bows. I originally cut them a lot longer, but with the three above each other, it was too much and they all drowned each other with massive bows and long ‘tails’ trailing off them, so I made them several inches shorter and tied smaller bows with shorter ‘tails’, which means you can actually see the bows better. I know I wouldn’t have been happy with bows stuck on the front as the pattern shows, so I’m really glad I’ve done them this way. It did make sewing that seam more fiddly, so bear that in mind if you plan on doing something similar.