Just a quick post with a pic of my cuff progress:
As you can see, I’ve done allthe Suffolk puffs. What you can’t see is that I’ve finished the cuff all nice and neatly and have started the two buttonholes. The black rectangle at the top is a practice buttonhole on a piece of linen from the trousers I took up the other day, as I haven’t made a buttonhole before and had some scraps. Just need to finish the buttonholes, sew on the buttons and Suffolk puffs – should finish it tomorrow.
In more 18th Century related sewing news – I’ve washed the cotton lawn I got the other day, so will start working on my shift soon (as and when MA editing allows). I’ve also managed to find a local hardware shop that sells 8 or 9mm wide cable ties (about 50cm long)… stays, here I come! Or not, as I’ve realised that I don’t yet trust my handsewing enough to hold together the seams of stays and so would want to machine those at least and I don’t have access to a sewing machine at the moment. Of course, there is also the matter of me not knowing how to fit clothing yet, either… I really need to get round to properly putting together my dressmaking plan!
There is some promising news on the sewing machine front, though – my mum bought a new one several months ago and it turns out that she hasn’t thrown away her old one (which is a heavy metal beast that’s older than I am – I hear this is A Good Thing in sewing machines), though it is acting up. Fingers crossed, when I can afford to, I’ll get it serviced/repaired and will have a wonderful, working sewing machine!
I have also posted a few short stories – just look at the ‘Fiction’ tab at the top and you’ll find them. I hope you enjoy!
And now for that fuzzy, feelgood animal story like the ones they have at the end of the news… complete with photo!
As I was getting ready for bed last night, a massive insect flew into my room. At first I thought it was a butterfly as it was big and fluttery and brightly coloured – we’ve had loads of butterflies this summer, its lovely! When it finally calmed down and perched on a basket, I saw that it was actually a moth. I’ve never seen one like this before:
The colour isn’t very clear in this pic – what looks like a buff-beige colour is actually more of a yellow shade, and the second set of wings, which are hidden when folded, are vermillion and black. There are also small dots of vermillion at the centre of the rosettes. Also, its wings are massive when spread, which you obviously can’t see here. I thought it was really pretty and unusual (at least, I’ve never seen one before!) – a leopard-print moth!
Anyway, the little git sent me on a merry dance, with me trying to catch it to put it outside. Eventually it landed in the bottom of this basket, which was full of toiletries… So I had to empty it all, march the moth downstairs and put him in the back garden. Safe and sound and free!